Lindsay in Haiti

...a journal of my experiences while living in Haiti for the next two years.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

My trip to the DR last weekend was great. The 8 hour drive was a little crazy with big mud holes and stuff, but we never got actually stuck. We made it to the border just as they were closing the big gates, with like 1 mintue to spare (literally).
We arrived at our hotel in Santiago to find out that it was totally booked, not one available room- except the Executive Presidental Suite! ...which they gave to us at an awesome price because Caleb seems to have friends everywhere. It was really funny and kind of embarassing to walk into the lobby of this nice hotel feeling like the Beverly Hillbillies. We pulled up to the hotel with our truck just caked in mud, all over the windows and everywhere. My suitcase had dried mud falling off as I rolled it and all of us had mud on our clothes. Kara and I were like giddy 12 year olds as we were checking out the suite. It was enormous and luxurious- so opposite from my house I left that morning in Haiti with no electricity and cold showers. We even got complimentary massages! It was really cool; God totally knew I needed a break from things in Haiti and I left feeling so refreshed.

This seemed funny to me- not our luggage, but our groceries being wheeled out of the hotel.

Our total at Burger King looked a little scary to me until I remembered it was in pesos.



Kara, Caleb, and I at dinner. Caleb took us to a great seafood restaurant our last night.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger thegroves said…

    Awesome! I'm so happy that you had some time of refreshment and relaxation!!!

     
  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Melissa Millis said…

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I'm glad to hear you were refreshed:).

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lindsay Downham! How are you? Funny to hear from me huh? My Mom emailed me your link... If you remember, she is a big fan of your uncle ever since his Nick at Nite days, and I think she stumbled across your blog thru his page. I just read about your presidential suite experience... excellent! I hope you are enjoying yourself and having some postive life-changing experiences that you will carry through life. Also, I should probably mentioned that those of us who have known you since we were much younger know that you can sometimes talk very fast when you get excited, so I hope that for the childrens' sake you are slowing it down for them a bit! haha. Take care and do not be a stranger. My email is bostonmdb@aim.com

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    Ah, yes, that's the perfect place to get away! I love your pictures! Brings back memories... Our story is so funny- same name, same place, the way you get there within a couple days of me leaving. God is a funny God sometimes:) Keep it up! I'll be praying for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home