Lindsay in Haiti

...a journal of my experiences while living in Haiti for the next two years.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Digicel

Digicel, our main cell phone company in Haiti, has been booming like crazy. Anytime I go to the city, its like you see their red and white Digicel logo everywhere, on billboards, backpacks, etc. And, about every few months there is another new Digicel tower going up around here. I love seeing this, as it is a sign of progress and advancement for the country. In a place where some people ride donkeys and horses for transportation, its nice to see something up to-date like people communicating via cell phone.
Digicel has been around for only five years and its the fastest growing mobile telecommunications company in the Caribbean. The cell phones are less than $30 USD and you put minutes on your phone by buying phone cards. There is a new tower going up on a mountiantop near Pignon, so some friends and I ventured up there last weekend. I drove my 4-wheeler and Kara drove her Rhino. I didn't think we'd acutally make it-the mountain side was SO steep. It was crazy. The tower, which is almost finished, has taken only three weeks to build so far. The workers commented that this was their hardest tower yet. Pictures to follow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home