Lindsay in Haiti

...a journal of my experiences while living in Haiti for the next two years.

Monday, November 06, 2006

I'm back on Blogger

A view from the airplane. I was flying on a little 6-seater plane from Port-au-Prince up to Cap-Haitien (a town on the northern coast). I can never seem to get enough pictures from the air.
A couple of boats in the port of Cap-Haitien. Most of the boats out there in the water are half sunken and have been there for years.
The Citadel! People call it the eighth wonder of the world... Henri Christophe had it built in 1804. I think some 10,000 Haitians died while building it. The fortress was built to defend them from the French. But the French never returned and so the Citadel was never even used! Big bummer...
Let's hope I never get lost on the roads/trails/paths of Haiti. This is the only 'road sign' I've seen in Haiti so far (outside of Port-au-Prince). Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Lindsey said…

    So did you go up to the Citadel? It is pretty amazing. My pictures look faded on my blog but if you want to look at my pictures from there they are in my archives for Feb 2005. It's crazy though how few people have probably seen it. The roads were so bad getting there that I would never want to go back. It took us over 6 hours to go just over 30 miles I think. It was worse than usual. You know as well as I do that all roads in Haiti are bad! But it was awesome. And degaje and trarantulas are also things I am familiar with! I went for the mosquito net rather than the kiddie tent. But whatever works! Hey it seems like thats another good degaje example;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home