Lindsay in Haiti

...a journal of my experiences while living in Haiti for the next two years.

Monday, November 17, 2008

Gonaives Refugees

These are my friends' children from Gonaives who are currently living in Pignon. During the hurricane, they stayed on their neighbors' second story roof for over 48 hours with no food and only rain water to drink. For most of that time, their mom covered their faces with a blanket to protect them from seeing the unimaginable images that surrounded them (dead bodies floating by, houses being swept away, etc). Along with their parents and several other children, they were able to leave Gonaives by helicopter after the water level went down. All the kids are now in school in Pignon and doing very well.



Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger Debbie Rigaud said…

    Hello, Lindsay! I love checking out your gorgeous photography and informative posts. I'm Haitian-American (born in the States but have yet to make a visit to Haiti)so I'm always on the hunt for any images/stories I can find on Haiti. I appreciate that, however heart-wrenching, there is a sense of hope in all of the photos and stories you post. I think that says as much about Haiti as it does about you. Thank you for blogging. Continued blessings to you and your friends in Haiti.
    BTW--what is the name of the school charity were we can donate tuition fees for the children? I think you mentioned it months back?
    :-)
    Debbie
    www.debbierigaud.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home