Lindsay in Haiti

...a journal of my experiences while living in Haiti for the next two years.

Monday, April 14, 2008

a little bit about the situation in Haiti

I've gotten lots of emails from friends wondering about the situation in Haiti. I haven't had internet access until today, so unfortunately I haven't been able to keep everyone posted. I was actually in Port-au-Prince from Tuesday until Friday when everything was going on. As mentioned in the previous post, I was in the city to pick up my friend Elaine at the airport. Things were pretty crazy on Tuesday as I was driving around with Caleb trying to get up to the hotel in Petion-Ville. People burned gas stations, and there were road blocks up everywhere; burning tires and demonstrations. I don't want to go into a lot of detail, because my mom will be reading this and I don't want to scare her too much!! Driving around Port on Thursday wasn't bad at all. Schools, businesses and most places were closed, so things were pretty quiet. There weren't a lot of people out on the streets but you could see lots of damage that had been done.

Everything *seems* to be calmer since they ousted the Prime Minister on Saturday, but I haven't hear much today.
I can definitely see the effects of food prices and everything and how its affecting the people in our little town of Pignon. The Pignon market, which is usually shoulder to shoulder was so empty on Saturday- people can't afford to buy food. Prices of everything have gone up (I paid $15 for 2 gallons of gas) and people are hungry. We are just waiting and praying that things will get better. And, they will. :)

1 Comments:

  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    please be safe Lindsay and know you remain in my heart and prayers.

    Jess Bentley Fargo medical team

     

Post a Comment

<< Home